Thursday, November 03, 2005

Exotic Instrument


Exotic Instrument
Originally uploaded by SonicGrass.
The array of exotic instruments that one encounters in the subway adds to the rich tonal expression of the screeching subway. This fellow was playing Thursday night at the Harvard stop, I gave him a quarter, all I had on me at the time. The instrument stealing the show looked like some sort of evolved banjo, with harp like tendencies. A harp with twang to it, you can hear the skin of some sort of beast in every note. I love that it has a pickup so that it can be played through a guitar amp, roots with lots of growth.

I only heard one piece and it was very melodic with a slight twang, I could have hung around all night, I was tired however and continued on my way. There were some young men listening to the music making emotive faces to the music and laughing. The music doing it’s job of facilitating life and living, animating our shared experience in time.

P.S. Notice the microphone, I think that is just to add range to the harp.

No comments: